• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

adoption & social security benefits

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

paulamay

What is the name of your state? ca
my husband would like to adopt my two children from a previous marriage. Their father is deceased and they receive social security benefits. how will the adoption affect those benefits? will they lose them?

nextwife

Once adopted, your husband becomes the legal father. Just as CS would stop if a step parent adopts, SS benefits, too, would stop from their late dad. They WOULD be entitled to any benefits that they, as children of your husband, would have a right to.

C

coosi

http://ssa-custhelp.ssa.gov/cgi-bin/ssa.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_sid=hlSpUyUg&p_lva=&p_faqid=439&p_created=974207411&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9ncmlkc29ydD0mcF9yb3dfY250PTQmcF9zZWFyY2hfdGV4dD1hZG9wdGlvbiZwX3NlYXJjaF90eXBlPTMmcF9jYXRfbHZsMT0zJnBfY2F0X2x2bDI9fmFueX4mcF9wYWdlPTE*&p_li=

Just as CS would stop if a step parent adopts, SS benefits, too, would stop from their late dad."

According to SSA, that is incorrect. From the site above:

Question
Our daughter, who had two young children, passed away two years ago. Her husband is planning to remarry and his fiance wants to adopt the children after the marriage. Will the children lose the Social Security survivor's benefits that they currently receive?

Answer
No. The adoption of a child already entitled to survivor's benefits does not terminate the child's benefits.

J

John Galt

Hi

I have been looking for this answer also and now reading yours, I am confused. In reading SSR 73-26c: Section 202(d)(1)(42u.s.c.402(d)(1)). In reading where the paragraph begins,"Furthermore" it states,

"Furthermore, once a child becomes entitled to benefits under
202(d)(1), his/her entitlement terminates the month preceding the month the child dies, marries, or is adopted, or the month in which he has attained age 18, but then only if he/she is not disabled and not a full time student."

http://www.ssa.gov/OP_Home/rulings/oasi/09/SSR73-26-oasi-09.html

Help in understanding for all........

j g

VeronicaGia

John Galt said:
Hi

I have been looking for this answer also and now reading yours, I am confused. In reading SSR 73-26c: Section 202(d)(1)(42u.s.c.402(d)(1)). In reading where the paragraph begins,"Furthermore" it states,

"Furthermore, once a child becomes entitled to benefits under
202(d)(1), his/her entitlement terminates the month preceding the month the child dies, marries, or is adopted, or the month in which he has attained age 18, but then only if he/she is not disabled and not a full time student."

http://www.ssa.gov/OP_Home/rulings/oasi/09/SSR73-26-oasi-09.html

Help in understanding for all........

j g
Sorry, I may not be of much help, but it states that once a child becomes entitled to benefit sunder 202(d)(1).....what does 202(d)(1) say?

If this conflicts with the question posted by coosi, you need to contact them and ask them to clear up their own information.

J

John Galt

Thank you for your follow-up inquiry.

Section 10301 of P.L. 101-239 eliminated the dependency requirements for most children adopted after the NH's entitlement to RIB or DIB. See GN 00306.138 for prior law.

B. POLICY - EFFECTIVE DATE
The provisions shown in GN 00306.137C. are effective with respect to benefits payable for months after December 1989, but only on the basis of applications filed on or after 01/01/90. The time of "filing" includes a month within the life of the application when all other requirements are met.

She will not be paid on both records, she will receive the higher of the two.

P

paulamay

Okay, that settles it. Nobody knows anything.....sounds like the best bet is to not do the adoption. $900/month per child is too much to risk.

C

coosi

Paul,

I don't know what the other responses were about. If you follow the Social Security link I posted, you will find that SSA states

"The adoption of a child already entitled to survivor's benefits does not terminate the child's benefits."

Good Luck!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">