• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Grounds for Divorce?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

E

esummers76

What is the name of your State? Iowa

I need some advice! I read that in the State of Iowa that cheating and physical abuse is not grounds for divorce...Is this true???
I have been married to my husband for almost 6 years now and have 4 children (1 was stillborn) by him. I have caught him cheating on me atleast 5 times since we have been married and once was with my aunt! He has physically abused me for years and was arrested twice for it before he stopped. I assume because he was afraid of being arrested again but he never stopped the cheating!
The last time I caught him was when I just got home from the hospital after having my youngest son who is now 10 mos old. I left in Feb. of this year and have been living with my parents ever since but I am ready for a divorce!
He doesn't want a divorce and insisits that he will NEVER cheat on me again but I have heard that story too many times before. I dont want to drag this through court and have to spend a lot of money that I dont have on attorney fees and court costs. Is there a cheaper and easier way to go through this? I am also wondering about the kids... will I automatically get full-custody of the kids since he has a history of domestic abuse?
If someone out there has any advice for me I could really use it!

Thanks!

C

cyana

Yes, Iowa is a no fault state. You ought to see a lawyer as soon as possible.

See http://www.divorcesource.com/info/divorcelaws/iowa.shtml
for more information.

Read carefully the sections on "Mediation" and "Custody". If he has a documented history of DV toward the children you *may* be able to get his visitation supervised. He also may be able to have you both partake in mandatory counseling if he feels the marriage can be saved. A "parenting class" is also necessary.

I would start out by filing for custody, CS and Alimony. Iowa is an "equitable distribution state" as far as asset/debt division goes.

Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">