• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

daughter taken to cleaners in property settlement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Z

zekebo

What is the name of your state? tn
Hi, I’m writing this for my daughter. I thought someone here could point her in the right direction.
She was married in 1980 and divorced in 2000. In 1992 they bought a house together but had to file bankruptcy shortly after and the house was put in his
Stepfathers name. They were then paying “rent” of $500.00 a month. At the divorce both mother and stepfather said they owned the house and my daughter and son-in law were just renting it. My daughter asked, after the bankruptcy, to have it put back in their names and she was told not until it was paid off. After they were separated for some reason, no payments were made on the house as my daughter had access to her ex’s checking account. She found out today the house was paid off with money her ex received from a settlement when his real father died. She was also told today, by her ex that they really screwed her on the house in the divorce. It was all pre-arranged
So she wouldn’t get anything. Anger once again abounds in this mis-match and the thought of getting even has raised it ugly head. Chances are the “rent” that was paid to step-dad was not claimed as income to IRS . Does anyone have any ideas on what she might do to get “un-screwed” on this deal and would a lawyer handle it after all this time.

HomeGuru

zekebo said:
What is the name of your state? tn
Hi, I’m writing this for my daughter. I thought someone here could point her in the right direction.
She was married in 1980 and divorced in 2000. In 1992 they bought a house together but had to file bankruptcy shortly after and the house was put in his
Stepfathers name. They were then paying “rent” of $500.00 a month. At the divorce both mother and stepfather said they owned the house and my daughter and son-in law were just renting it. My daughter asked, after the bankruptcy, to have it put back in their names and she was told not until it was paid off. After they were separated for some reason, no payments were made on the house as my daughter had access to her ex’s checking account. She found out today the house was paid off with money her ex received from a settlement when his real father died. She was also told today, by her ex that they really screwed her on the house in the divorce. It was all pre-arranged
So she wouldn’t get anything. Anger once again abounds in this mis-match and the thought of getting even has raised it ugly head. Chances are the “rent” that was paid to step-dad was not claimed as income to IRS . Does anyone have any ideas on what she might do to get “un-screwed” on this deal and would a lawyer handle it after all this time.
**A: did your daughter have legal counsel at the time?

Z

zekebo

Thanks for getting back to me on this.This was another strange turn in this mess. At first her lawyer was all for going for it. She, the lawyer, wrote up questions for the ex to answer about the house and all. He lied on every answer as did his mother. At this time she became passive about the whole deal and never checked on anything any farther. Now at first, she, the lawyer, called this guy a SOB and every other name she could come up with. She went to court with my daughter once when the child support was decided. Then one day my daughter left a message on the lawyers answering machine saying “that damn man”. The lawyer returned her call and told her due to her foul manner of speaking she was dropping her. This was in the middle of the case. She told her to pay her bill, which turned out to be mostly phone calls. She never went back to court with her after that, so you might say my daughter had a lawyer up to a certain point.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">