• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Common Law Marriage in CT

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

RXavier

What is the name of your state? Connecticut
I know there is no common law marriage in CT, but does a woman who lived with a man for over 17 years have any legal rights if her "spouse" (who has not let her get a job in all this time) is trying to get rid of her?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

RXavier said:
What is the name of your state? Connecticut
I know there is no common law marriage in CT, but does a woman who lived with a man for over 17 years have any legal rights if her "spouse" (who has not let her get a job in all this time) is trying to get rid of her?

My response:

Unless CT recognizes contractual relationships, like California does; e.g., "Marvin vs. Marvin" claims, then no, you have no rights outside the bonds of marriage.

See a local Family law attorney to make a determination if you have any rights as mentioned above.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">