• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Separation agreement - Do It yourself

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

Alcazz

What is the name of your state? NY

Is it legal and binding if my wife and I type up a separation agreement and sign it in front of a notary, with out legal councel or a court hearing??

A

Alcazz

Maybe my question should have been, what problems can I run into by doing it myself?

annefan

Type of problems you can run into vary, whether civil right now or not.
Notarizing a post marital agreement or a separation agreement does not verify the stipulations it contains, notarization of such a document only verifies the accuracy of the signatures on the piece of paper it's written.
Also, whatever your agreement contains, remember that the contents are not binding to any creditors.

A

Alcazz

Yeah, I am learning more and more about the evils of credit card debt.

I was thinking more about household possessions - like if we agree on what the split will be - or a dollar amount for her to not take certain things. I do not want to have to pay for things twice. If we put this spilt and/or payment in a separation agreement, will we be bound by it?

A

Alcazz

Also, she agreed to and signed a quitclaim deed in front of a notary - no lawyers involved .... Could she change her mind in the future and try to make the deed invalid??

VeronicaGia

Until there is a court order involved, almost nothing will be valid.

You're trying to save money, but save yourself the headache instead. Get a court order.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">