• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Auction or Lottery?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

brjohn1

What is the name of your state? Florida

Before I partner with an online company, I wanted to initially verify that parts of their business model are legal.

Overview:
An online auction web site, whereas...
1. the winning bidder wins the right to pay a fixed priced [fraction of the actual cost, but not free],
2. the number of bids are limited in each auction,
3. each participant is charged a "bidding fee" for each bid submitted (regardless of winning/losing the auction),
4. the winning bid is the highest bid that is not duplicated (unique).

http://www.greatpcs.net, albeit based in North Carolina, is similar to the Florida company I am describing with this business model.

On the surface, it appears to conflict with lottery laws, but the company has assured me that it runs a legal auction site incorporated in Delaware with an auctioneer based out of Florida. My assumption is that Florida statue allows some aspect of their business model that does not include all three lottery factors, including consideration, prize, and chance.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">