• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Complications after the injury

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

N

nevergiveup

What is the name of your state? California.

Ok, trying to be short:
After horrible incident 3 years ago (police summoned, restraining order against ex-BFwho is the father of my kids) I had health complications and is getting worse (therapy, pain medicine etc - don't help). It got to the point I can't really work.
Question: Can I go to court and try to get him pay for it? - the battery case was documented with police, hospital and pictures.
I didn't pursue the case immediately then, but now since it is getting worse, I think I should if I can.
Any advice?

HomeGuru

nevergiveup said:
What is the name of your state? California.

Ok, trying to be short:
After horrible incident 3 years ago (police summoned, restraining order against ex-BFwho is the father of my kids) I had health complications and is getting worse (therapy, pain medicine etc - don't help). It got to the point I can't really work.
Question: Can I go to court and try to get him pay for it? - the battery case was documented with police, hospital and pictures.
I didn't pursue the case immediately then, but now since it is getting worse, I think I should if I can.
Any advice?
**A: you should have shot him when you had the opportunity.

stephenk

In california, personal injury claims prior to January 1, 2003 had a one year statute of limitations.

N

nevergiveup

response to StephenK

Hello - thanks for the info
I know about statute of limitation in CA and I did file a case with the police etc. He spent time in rehab and community service, plus restraining order for 3 years.
My question is - since the complications from the injury (which were there from the begining) affecting my ability to function more and more (back and neck injury - terrible pain still) - can I ask him for compensation?
Some illnesses take time to surface - like deseases resulting from ecological problems caused by some manufacturer (for example) - does statute of limitation apply to these too?
I want to get some compensation since my ex cut up his child support completely based that he is not working, despite the fact he ows 4 houses and stocks, but somehow managed to shield his income from the court. He has the best attorney in the county and good CPA. Now he wants me and kids (one is a special need child) out of his house, he wants to sell it.
Is there anything I can do AT ALL?

stephenk

since you admit the injuries came about because of the abuse and you knew it back then, the statute of limitation begins to run from that moment.

N

nevergiveup

Thanks - but..

Sorry for bothering you again -
but THEN the doctors were treating me for injury,
NOW they treating me for COMPLICATIONS from the old injury and advise me not to work, which I can not do anyway.
I didn't go after him (for compensation for the injury)THEN, because I beleive I will be fine and will heal and will work and take care of myself and kids.
Can you please point me in the direction to investigate the issue?
I can't afford an attorney, obviously.
Thanks,

stephenk

you should consult with a personal injury attorney. most offer low cost or free consultations.

I will tell you now it will be a very difficult argument to make that you or your doctors did not know or should have known that the complications from your original complaints did not come from the abuse. You told the doctors about the abuse when it happened? If yes, what did the doctors say about any aggravation to your original physical problems?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">