• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

name change after adoption

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

H

HeavenlyAngel

hello in live in the state of Florida and my question is that when I was about two years old my mother married my stepfather and he adopted me. now i'm twenty two and I don't want his last name anymore because he is a dead beat father. he hasn't payed child support in like forever and i'm not his only kid. he's the father of my 3 other siblings. I want to change my last name to my original last name and I don't know how or what I need to do it. my mom said it was all done privatly and my original birthcertificate is in the court house and I don't have my adoption records because they all burned when my house caught of fire. please help me with everything I need to do this.

TLWE

I could be wrong....

but at the age of 22, I think you can just go to court for a legal name change. I don't think being adopted even has to come into play with this. I am not sure how much it costs. You can call your county courthouse and ask what the fee is for a legal name change.

BTW...after reading your other post....if you are getting ready to get married, why bother changing your name? I don't mean that sarcastically either. But, unless you aren't planning on taking your husband's name when you marry, it probably isn't worth the time and $$$ to change your name now.

Last edited:
H

HeavenlyAngel

I just wanted to know just in case me and him end up not getting married. I wanted to know how to get the info I needed to do this. Sorry for the mix up on what I was trying to say.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">