• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

When to probate a will?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

scarlet1

What is the name of your state? Ohio

My mother passed away in Jan 03, my step-dad remarried 6 months after her death. He is trying to sell my mothers house. He stated that he probated the will in August, but my brothers and I have not recevied notification from the courts. I called the probate court and they informed me that it hasn't been probated. And that I should get legal help.
There are CD's and anninuties due to us, my step-dad told me that he changed it all over to his name.
I called him and asked him why we hadn't recevied notification from the courts, he sounded shook up. And stated that I was in the will, and he will check with his lawyer and see what is the problem.

What is the time limit in probating a will? I have heard within 9 months after the death the heirs should do something. I also heard he has up to a year to probate. He had a survivors deed to the house that was my mothers, which now holds his new wife an his name. She is also wearing my mothers fine jewerly, what a slap in my face. Now what can I do?

S

scarlet1

Thank you for your response.

My step-dad called me yesterday and informed me that his lawyer told him that since everything was willed to him, that he didn't have to probate it, if it was under $200,000.000. And he said he did change the CD's and such and that I would be left as his benificary.
For some reason, I don't trust him, wonder why.

But I am seeking legal advise this afternoon, my only fear is that I hope this doesn't run into large amount of money to find out the truth, and then I the long run I DON'T receive a penny that my mother really left for us.

Thank you for reply.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">