• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I subpoena my wifes friends to prove adultery

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

stepheng

What is the name of your state? MI

Hello,

I suspect my wife has commited adultery and want to know if i can subpoena her friends and the person she is secretly seeing to prove adultery?

What are the pro's and con's of such actions?

VeronicaGia

MI is a no-fault state, so this will accomplish nothing.

Also, do you think her friends will be honest about this?

What are you trying to accomplish?

JETX

"I suspect my wife has commited adultery and want to know if i can subpoena her friends and the person she is secretly seeing to prove adultery?"
*** Yes, you can subpoena him. However, since his admission would be to a crime, he would be a fool to answer your questions.

"What are the pro's and con's of such actions?"
*** In addition to your wife being able to question YOU as to your actions, see above.

§ 28.221 (MCL §750.32) Cohabitation by divorced persons as adultery
If any persons after being divorced from the bonds of matrimony for any cause whatever, shall cohabit together, they shall be liable to all the penalties provided by law against adultery.

§ 28.219 (MCL §750.30) Punishment; application to unmarried man
Any person who shall commit adultery shall be guilty of a felony; and when the crime is committed between a married woman and a man who is unmarried, the man shall be guilty of adultery, and liable to the same punishment.

Statutes can be found at:
http://michiganlegislature.org/law/mileg.asp?page=getObject&objName=mcl-328-1931-V&highlight=

Last edited:
S

stepheng

JETX, your links to the michigan law seem like very old laws. Do they fall under the "alienatio of affection" statue below? or are they 2 different things? Is it still illegal in michigan to commit adultery but not aleination of affection?

States plus D.C. which have statutorily (i.e. by legislation) abolished alienation of affection:

Alabama
Arizona
Arkansas
California
Colorado
Connecticut
Delaware
District of Columbia
Florida
Georgia
Indiana
Kansas
Maine
Maryland
Massachusetts
Michigan
Minnesota
Montana
Nebraska
Nevada
New Jersey
New York
North Dakota
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
Tennessee
Texas
Vermont
Virginia
West Virginia
Wisconsin
Wyoming

JETX

It doesn't matter whether they "seem like old laws or not". If you had taken the time to follow the link you would have found that they ARE statutes currently on the books. Now, whether they are enforced or not is a different matter.

S

stepheng

btw, i did follow the links and saw the date of the statue. that is why i asked. that is why i also asked if

Do they fall under the "alienatio of affection" statue below? or are they 2 different things? Is it still illegal in michigan to commit adultery but not aleination of affection?

HomeGuru

stepheng said:
btw, i did follow the links and saw the date of the statue. that is why i asked. that is why i also asked if

Do they fall under the "alienatio of affection" statue below? or are they 2 different things? Is it still illegal in michigan to commit adultery but not aleination of affection?
**A: there is no statue and aleination in this case although I did see a movie like alien nation in which there was a statue.

S

Sandman-XX

I think alien nations are illegal in any of the US as well. Goes contrary to the ideas of the US gov't.

S

Sandman-XX

No, no..

I meant, to be more specific.. the 'establishment' of an alien nation within the US... kinda like Tri cities in the Winds series. :rolleyes:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">