• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

responsiblity for automobiles

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

I

imaseeta2

What is the name of your state? NY

My husband and I are seperated, married for 3 years no kids. Before he left we bought a truck that is in his name. I am driving it and make the payments. He now wants the truck back, which is fine, I will buy a new car, but he says that I should absorb some of the loss if he sells since it was a purchase made when we were together and a joint debt. Is that right? Should I be responsible for something in his name just cause we were married. If so, should he be responsible for my school payments since I went to school when we were together, and not anymore but I start my school loans this month?? thanks

JETX

"he says that I should absorb some of the loss if he sells since it was a purchase made when we were together and a joint debt. Is that right?"
*** There is no statutory reason for you to be responsible for the loss in value. If you want return the truck, you can. If you want to keep the truck, then consider that in your divorce negotiations. If you want to return the truck, you can do that also, but he has no legal basis to force you to.

"Should I be responsible for something in his name just cause we were married."
*** Should you?? Who knows?? Are you? No.

"If so, should he be responsible for my school payments since I went to school when we were together, and not anymore but I start my school loans this month??"
*** Same argument, he is under no obligation to repay your debts unless he choses to.

One thing to consider in all of this... assuming you had co-mingled funds. The money that HE paid came from those co-mingled funds, or at least became 'expendable his funds' due to the fact that the co-mingled funds were used to pay other bills that his funds would have gone for. Simply, you made at least part of every payment on that truck..... whether it was 'his' direct funds or not.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">