• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

do it yourself divorce

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

Kendra1

What is the name of your state? California

California is the state I will be filing in. My husband still lives in the same county we were married in and I have not lived in Massachusetts long enough to file here. I have quite a few questions and please forgive how niave I am when it comes to divorce.

I do not have a job or any personal income at all. I can not get my husband to file for the divorce, I have asked him to do so. I think he just doesnt want to pay for it. I know that I can fill out a waiver of fees form. However, the person I am staying with makes more money than the required amount of household income for me to fit the category. He is simply nice enough to take care of me until I can get back on my feet, and his income should not affect my ability to file a waiver of fees form. So, I guess my question would be: Will it affect my ability to file this form? I obviously cant afford an attorney but I would really like to get this started so I can get on with my life.

I called the family law division of the courthouse in the county I was married in, I asked them how much it would cost to file. I was hoping to maybe get my mom to help me pay if I could, but I can not get a straight answer for them. They told me it would cost me $111 and my husband $114 to file. I didnt really think we would both have to pay to start the process. I just want to get the ball rolling and I dont know how. Any help whatsoever would be much appreciated. I am only 24 I have a long life left and the sooner I can get on with that life the better.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

You must have called the Clerk a very long time ago. The filing fees have gone up dramatically, as follows:

Petition for Dissolutions, Legal Separation, Nullity $196.00 ·

Response for Dissolutions, Legal Separation, Nullity $193.00 ·

Summary Dissolution $196.00

Now, since we can't give you step-by-step instructions, or put you through law school, I would suggest that you go online to a bookstore and locate a step-by-step California Family law book, buy it, and get going on this.

Eventually, you're going to need to make an appearance in California - - so, how are you going to afford the filing fees and the necessary trips to court for your Dissolution?

For further assistance, copy and paste this link into your browser without the on each side: [url]http://www.occourts.org/

IAAL

Last edited:
K

Kendra1

I really shouldnt have to go to court. The divorce wont be contested. It's the fees I am worried about.

I can file a waiver of fees form so that I do not have to pay to file. I am just wondering if I can. The person I am staying with makes more money than the required amount of the household income. I really dont think his income should affect my ability to file. But I am not sure.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Kendra1 said:
I really shouldnt have to go to court. The divorce wont be contested. It's the fees I am worried about.

MY RESPONSE: Okay, have it your way.

I can file a waiver of fees form so that I do not have to pay to file. I am just wondering if I can. The person I am staying with makes more money than the required amount of the household income. I really dont think his income should affect my ability to file. But I am not sure.

MY RESPONSE: I read this the first time. Did you think that I hadn't read it? Since I never deal with "In Forma Pauperis" paperwork, I wouldn't know if you qualify or not.

So, get a book on the subject of family law, Dissolution of Marriage, like I suggested, and all of this, and more, will be covered.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">