• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Concern about money left in a Will

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

baj2002

What is the name of your state? Tennessee

How do you reseach local city and county records to find out how money is going to be spent?

A lady that passed on last February and has left $400,000 to our local animal shelter to be used for the animals. However our city officials are saying that the shelter cannot used the money in any way that would increase their yearly budget of $70,000. That any money made over their budget must be in the form of donations. Why is this not consider a donation?

I do not have a lot of faith in our county/city officials and I am afraid that the money will be used for other reasons.

How can I as a concern resident investiagte where the money goes?

I hope someone can direct me on where to start.

Thanks

H

hexeliebe

It depends on in which county you are located. You'll have to visit the county courthouse and get copies of the budget, county ordinances and minutes of the commissioner's meetings regarding the will proceeds.

You might also want to elicit the aid of a probate attorney who loves pets and would look at the will pro bono to determine if this is indeed a gift, donation or other. The deed will also be registered in the Deed book of the county registrar's office.

nextwife

Could it be used as an endowement, rather than be added as a lump sum to the budget? The earnings of which can be used by the shelter for whatever purposes (education, brick and mortar needs,, veterinarian care, etc.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">