• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Legal Malpractice

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

lostagain

What is the name of your state? Florida
I have a question regarding a family civil court ruling. I filed a motion to enforce Paternity Settlement Agreement and lost the case. I hired a lawyer on a "limited basis" to appear and fight this case for me for $400. The lawyer (head of the firm) failed to show up and sent someone else. The "head" knew all the facts and had agreed to the payment. The guy that showed up didn't know much and failed to fight the case appropriately or allow all the evidence to be heard. I lost. The loss was substantial. Then to add insult to injury they sent me a bill after the final hearing stating I owe them $266 for fees based on $200 per hour. We had an agreement for the case from day one. The attorney had asked me then "if I was so poor - how would she be paid"? I told her I had borrowed the fee she advised. The letter wrote on the final bill indicated that "to save me money" they had allowed a different attorney than who was agreed upon to "do my case". On their billing statement I see they even charged me for talking to my ex who called to advise he would fight back and win and told them lies about me. Isn't this legal malpractice and breach of contract? If so, where do I sue? Can I only sue for the fee's I paid of $400 or can I sue for what I lost - due to incompetent representation by someone who didn't know the facts and I hadn't even agreed to have represent me (nor know they were the person showing up until the actual hearing).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">