• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Division of home equity

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

pyromedic

What is the name of your state? California

My wife moved out of our house in February '03 (and used that date as the Date of Separation in her petition for divorce). Since then, our home has appreciated significantly. Is she entitled to half of it's equity as of last February, or as of now?

nextwife

But might they not be able to deduct her prorated share of the mortgage/property taxes from that date to the closing date, if she has contributed nothing toward those costs of keeping the house?

I have certainly seen many closing statements in which this is done.

lsut1ger

Good point! :) I'd imagine he's absolutely due reimbursements for the mortgage payments and/or taxes he's paid since the separation.

I took his question as inquiring about her right to the equity due to the recent appreciation of home.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">