• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is it child abuse?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bubbly602

What is the name of your state? Colorado

My daughter is 2 years and 4 months old. Her father and I were never married, and we separated when she was 8 months old. In the time since we have separated, his mother has cut her hair(without his or my knowledge OR consent) 4 times. He says, that the first time, he just ran to the store real quick, and she did it while he was gone. This time, his excuse was that he went to the bathroom and She did it then. because she's doing this without our knowledge and consent, can it be considered child abuse? This woman is mentally unstable. My child has come home from visitation saying "worthless slut" which is his Mom's favorite nickname for me. When she found out I was pregnant, she said "that baby's going to retarded and I want nothing to do with it." This woman has threatened me in the past, both with killing e and having my child taken away, and whenever my ex does something she doesn't like, she threatens to sue both of us for custody. She has ben convicted in another state of child abuse, and his father is willing to testify about the things she did to abuse her stepdaughters when they were married. I'm wondering if I have grounds to get a restraining order against her on m,y daughter's behalf? This is the fourth time the haircut thing has happened, and it gets really frustrating to see my daughter coming home from visitation looking like her hair's ben cut by a 5 year old, especially since her father and I both agreed that we would discuss any physical appearance changes before they happened, and agreed that we wanted to grow out her bangs. Anyone who has any ideas, I'd appreciate it.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
How about not leaving the kid with her? Then she can't cut her hair. I'm sorry, but that's a long way from abuse.

bubbly602

I've tried that...

but her father still continues to leave her with her. He watched his mom tie his 1/2 sisters to chairs, duct tape their mouths shut and beat them, and he still takes her over there. Unfortunately, I can't do anything about what he does when he has his visitation with our daughter. My father did similar things to me, and as such, I don't allow him contact with my daughter, because I'm concerned for her safety. My ex is too scared of his Mom to tell her no about anything, and he'll continue to take my daughter over there. I was just hoping that there might be some way to stop him from taking her there before she ties my daughter to a chair and and beats her, which will traumatize her. Given the things this woman had done, you'd think my ex would keep our daughter away from her, but that's not going to happen unless I find a way to make it happen, which is why I posted here. Thank you for your candid response.

D

dyinginside

im not sure what the law says for your state but in my state if you feel that the grandmother may bring emotionally trauma or you feel she isnt fit to be around your child you have the right to not let the g-parent see the child....the best interest of the child is what is held most important...if you feel thatitis in your childs best interest not too see her than as her parent ....that is what goes....the only thing she can do is take you to court after ninety days of not seeing the child and try to get visitation...but if you are a fit parent....they hold whatyouthink as the parent best...because you know whats best forYOUR child...now mind you ...this is in missouri...i will look it up for you state and post it....hopefully they are the same.....for your sake...and your childs....she sounds totally nuts

D

dyinginside

here it is

DO I HAVE RIGHTS? CURRENT COLORADO LAW

There are currently two laws in Colorado under which Grandparents may seek to establish parental rights and responsibilities or visitation with a grandchild. The first law is the Uniform Dissolution of Marriage Act (“UDMA”), and the second is the Children’s Code.

Under the UDMA, Grandparents may seek visitation or parental rights and responsibilities in situations where the child is not currently in the physical care of a parent or when the grandparent has had physical care of the child for at least six months. To initiate the action, a grandparent can file a petition for allocation of parental responsibilities in the proper court. The petition must be filed while the child is in the grandparent’s care or within six months from the time their physical care of the child terminated. The grandparent must also provide notice of the petition to all interested parties. After a formal hearing, the Court will determine whether visitation rights or the allocation of parental rights and responsibilities is in the best interests of the child.

The second law, the Children’s Code, provides grandparents with the opportunity to preserve their visitation rights with the child. Often times a grandparent will request visitation under the Children’s Code after a disruption in the child’s family. For instance, a grandparent may request visitation following a divorce where the parental responsibilities have been allocated to an individual other than the parent. A grandparent may also seek visitation in cases where the child no longer lives with the parent or when a parent who is the child of the grandparent has died. The grandparent may petition the court for visitation under the Children’s Code only once every two years and must provide notice to all interested parties. The determination of visitation rights is also made in the best interests of the child.

i think you would be just fine because the best interests of the child are what you find them to be....you know what is good and bad for your child.....good luck and keep heraway from the lunatic

*Kristen*

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

bubbly602

Thanks

I'm not sure if that will apply to me since the problem is that my ex continues to take her to see his mother, knowing my feelings about it, and know the things she's done. But it does give me something to research. I wonder if anybody knows the law in Colorado on whether or not previous convictions for child abuse can be brought up in a case like this to prove danger to my child? And if so, do they have to be in Colorado, or can they be from another state? The other thing I was wondering is how far back I can go with this. If anybody can point me in the direction of something that might help me find these answers, I'd appreciate it.

D

dyinginside

i know your looking for facts and not opinions here but i would say from my better judgment.....that prior child abuse.....especiallyif chargedand no matter in what state would be a BIG factor....i know in alot of states...a child abuserisnt even supposed to be around kids...so anyhow i will look around and see what kind of facts ican find....they are worth alot more than my 2 cents ;)

*Kristen*

bubbly602

Just want to say...

Thank you. I have a lot on my plate right now with being a fulltime single parent, full time college student, doing the whole job search thing, plus researching custody laws. It warms my heart that there is someone out there willing to spend their own free time researching things for others. :)

D

dyinginside

hey, dont even think anything of it.....thats the way it should be right? I know most of the time .. its not....but if everyone helped whoever they could....things would just be so much nicer in this already screwed up world we live in ...and btw im still lookin around for that info....soon as i find it ill get it to ya. oh yeah....and thanks for the nice words.....kinda got me feelin all mushy n stuff lol

*Kristen*:D

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">