• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

safe deposit box

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jenben

What is the name of your state? Louisiana
Do I need to go through probate to open a deceased sons safe deposit box. He was not married and had no children. The bank said i needed a court order to open it

Last edited:

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

jenben said:
What is the name of your state? Louisiana
Do I need to go through probate to open a deceased sons safe deposit box. He was not married and had no children. The bank said i needed a court order to open it

My response:

Yes, and that's where you'd get your court orders for the bank.

Copy and paste this link into your browser without the on each side: [url]https://forum.freeadvice.com/showthread.php?threadid=162062

IAAL

Last edited:
J

jenben

Can I get in the safe deposit box without starting probate. he was $93,000in credit debt and had 2 mortgages on his house and minimal life ins. money

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

jenben said:
Can I get in the safe deposit box without starting probate?

====================================

My response:

Yes, there is a way.

You'll need a box of 12 sticks of dynamite, and a long fuse. Unless you're willing to do that, then no.

IAAL

Dandy Don

Talk to a probate attorney in your local area to get his opinion about this. Opening probate might be as simple as you going to the courthouse to file to become administrator of his estate, and then soon after getting documents called letters testamentary authorizing you to claim any and all assets, plus getting the court order (and the bank will want to see both of these documents), and then if you find out that the contents of the box are not very valuable or not large enough to require probate filing, perhaps you can get the proceedings discharged or canceled on the basis of not having a large enough estate.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">