• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

property deed

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

smokeyshark

What is the name of your state? Ohio
My Mother has Alzheimers and we would like to keep her at home as long as possible. However the time is coming soon, when we will have to put her in a facility. How can we protect her home from going to the nursing home for her care? She and my father (deceased) have worked hard all their lives to provide us children with something, and how do we keep her assests from being stripped for her care? The home is paid for and we need to know what we can do to protect her. Does anyone have any good advice to help us?

D

dyuan

How is she going to pay for the nursing home expense? Sounds like the assets or equity of the home is going to be used.

Unless the property is deeded over to the children, the property still belongs to her.

S

smokeyshark

We would like to deed the property over to us. We don't want the nursing home to get everything that she has. We have put some aside for her care, however, we don't want them to get everything. We know that we can gift ourselves so much without paying gift tax, but does that include the house and property? Any advice? My sister already has POA

D

dyuan

House and property with value are also consider gifts and subject to gift tax, based on the value.

L

lazydaisy46

Just who do you think is supposed to pay for her care? The taxpayers? If she goes into a nursing home and applies for Medicaid, the state will review her finances for at least 3 (and maybe 5) years. If they find any large transfers (such as a house) they will go after the recipients of the “gift” to get the money back and use it to pay for her care.

The house is hers and has to be used to pay for her care. You are not entitled to anything.

S

smokeyshark

Well, there is no reason to be rude. No the taxpayers are not supposed to pay for it. We have money set aside to take care of her and , but they do not need everything she worked for. She should be entitled for working all her life and paying her taxes after all. Never mind, I will consult people who know what they are talking about

L

lazydaisy46

What do you mean you “have money set aside for her care”? Do you really fail to grasp that it is HER money? It is supposed to be used for her care. Again, you are entitled to nothing.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">