• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Beneficiary of my mom's estate is a packrat

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

lrwoods

California. I am trustee of my mom's estate. Her trust states that her boyfriend can stay in her house, as long as he is alive and if he makes the payments and maintains the house "in keeping with the neighborhood." My mom's lawyer says he's only a beneficiary (not a life estate holder), and the house is now owned by the trust. Problem is, the boyfriend is an obsessive/compulsive shopper and every room in the house is filled with the things he's bought, plus garbage, trash, unwashed dishes and clothes, - to the ceilings. There are pathways through the rooms, but the garage is unusable. It is an obvious health and fire hazard, but looks pretty good on the outside. The fire dept. says they do not interfere with a persons personal belongings. What can I do? Must I take him to court to get this solved?

Dandy Don

Talk to an attorney who specializes in evictions. Obviously as a tenant you have the right as a landlord to ask that certain conditions must be met for him to continue living there--there is a term called "habitable condition" which means that it must be kept in accordance with reasonable living standards--fairly clean and free of unaccumulated trash, etc.

Have your attorney send this man a certified letter giving him a deadline to get things cleaned up (or offer to pay for a cleaning crew to come to the house to do the work) or threaten him with fines or reporting him to the local health inspector or fire inspector or police if he doesn't clean up his act.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">