• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ill take the unemployment!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jaysbar

What is the name of your state? KY

I am getting ready to open a custom framing shop. Right now I am laid off. I was wondering if anyone had any insight how opening a new business would affect my unemployment. They always ask "Do you own or have any part in a business venture?" The first time I answer "yes" to that question will that disqualify me from any unemployment. I mean you get the business license and tax license long etc, long before the doors are open and you start to have any earning potential. Does anybody have any insight on any pro-active legal way to approach this issue?

HomeGuru

jaysbar said:
What is the name of your state? KY

I am getting ready to open a custom framing shop. Right now I am laid off. I was wondering if anyone had any insight how opening a new business would affect my unemployment. They always ask "Do you own or have any part in a business venture?" The first time I answer "yes" to that question will that disqualify me from any unemployment. I mean you get the business license and tax license long etc, long before the doors are open and you start to have any earning potential. Does anybody have any insight on any pro-active legal way to approach this issue?
**A: so let me get this straight. You want to collect unemployment benefits while working for your own business?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

Contestant: "I'll take 'Unemployment' for $500, Alex."

Alex: And the answer is - - "On THIS, you must declare other income potentials."

Contestant: "What is an application for continuing unemployment benefits?"

Alex: "Correct. We have 1 minute left in the round."

IAAL

J

jaysbar

YUP

"so let me get this straight. You want to collect unemployment benefits while working for your own business?"

Exactly. See now you get the picture! As I made this perfictly clear, I don't intend to do anything shady. I always declare any money that I make, but the startup of a business doesn't earn any money. I was just courious if the state (in thier attempt to pay out as little as possible) would consider simple ownership of a company with absolutly no possibility of making money (one that is still unopened) reason for denying unemployment benifits.

I can even get a part time job and still collect unemployment. If you earn anything under $300 that is enough to continue benifits for that week. You can still file and collect a small amount if your income is that low. So it doesn't seem to matter the status of your employment to keep a claim open as much as it matters what your income is. In opening a new business my income would be somewhere near -$10,000 a month LOL.

Hey Alex Ill take "I want it all free for $50 please!"

Bigfoot

Yes, you can start your own business. And it is smart to do this during the preparation stage. You may want to go ahead and get a federal ID number, so that you don't use your SS# as a sole proprietor.

But don't be surprised if your earning power increases immensely when word gets out about the high quality of your work! Go ahead-work for yourself! Personally, I'm the best boss I've ever had.

TxMsLady

Jaysbar,

I don't know if you realize this or not....many people don't. But a person can only draw unemployment for a year....unless, under certain circumstances, an extension is filed and then granted. That year of unemployment is during your whole life.....meaning that if you draw unemployment now for 5 months.....then you only have 7 months to draw unemployment should something happen 10 years down the road. Make sense? So, while unemployment can help to hold you over until you find work, (though barely....check isn't much at all), it's in your best interest to get out there and find a paying job. It'll be sad if 5 years from now, you lose a job, then have absolutely nothing to fall back on. Get to the Workforce Commission...they have plenty of job leads, tools to work with (computers, fax, phone for long distance calls to potential employers, resume' building help, classes on interview and job skills) and all are free. Good luck.

C

coosi

That year of unemployment is during your whole life.....meaning that if you draw unemployment now for 5 months.....then you only have 7 months to draw unemployment should something happen 10 years down the road. Make sense?"

No it doesn't. That is incorrect, and not how the unemployment insurance program works. Please state a reference for this completely wrong information...

TxMsLady

Coosi,

I'm simply stating what the Texas Workforce Commission teaches regarding unemployment insurance. I use to work for the Workforce Commission for the adult WIA program and Rapid Response program, and trust me, this is what they teach...feel free to contact Lufkin, TX Workforce Commission if you'd like to question their teachings of UI and the WIA program. Perhaps it's different in other states. But the info. I gave was correct. I have drawn unemployment myself in 2000 after resigning the Post Office for medical reasons...I do know how the system works. If you'd care to post a reference on here that is different from the teachings of the Workforce Commission, feel free. I will then stand corrected and apologize profusely. Until then, I state what I know. Have a great day :p.

C

coosi

http://www.desky.org/pubs/ui/pamui400.pdf

Poster is not in Texas, but Kentucky. The UI booklet from the site above clarifies eligiblity based on wages in four of the last five quarters. When that claim is exhausted, new wages must be earned to qualifed for a new benefit period.

I have also drawn unemployment, more than once, and more than 12 months. You are incorrect.

TxMsLady

Coosi,

What I described is how the TX system works. Perhaps I should have realized that all states may have a different system of UI. I don't care to argue this point. It just may be to this posters best interest to ask when applying for UI about the duration of benefits....and whether or not they can be drawn again in the future.

Regards

Last edited:
J

jaysbar

I have worked construction for 15 years. In that time I have drawn unemployment from several different states. I haven't ever opened a claim in TX but I did combine money I made in there with money from my home state, and opened a "combined wadge claim" in my home state. I have also opened claims in IL, MO, and IN. If you work in 3 different states and one year you can open a claim in any state in the US. I always pick the one that has the best benifits that year.

My point is this. I (and any construction worker) am very aware what the inside of an unemployment office looks like. I can say with no doubt that you are mistaken about the rules for umemployment benifits. I think just about every state has similar rules (I have learned from people I have worked with from all over the US). You have to work in an area long enough to open a claim. If you dont have enough to open a claim you can combine wadges with another state. You can only open one claim per calender year. If you have a claim open in any other state you can't open a new one.

THERE IS ABSOLUTLY NO WAY ANY CONSTRUCTION WORKER COULD EVER SURVIVE IN ANY STATE THAT WOULD ONLY LET YOU DRAW FOR ONE YEAR. Which leads me to my next problem with your post. You can't even draw for one year straight ANYWHERE (unless you have enough extentions). In Texas you can only draw for 25 weeks. I think where you have mistaken what they said in this area. You can only draw that many weeks inside the calender year of your claim. If you draw out your first 25 weeks and are laid off a total of 50 weeks, then you went with no unemployment for that last 25 weeks.

I wish I had no idea how unemployment worked. However, in my trade we simply rely on those benifits from time to time. No information can be given to dispute your claims because they are simply wrong. http://www.twc.state.tx.us/ui/bnfts/claimantinfo.html there is a link describing the actual rules in Texas. Thanks guys! And MS.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">