• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Personal representative

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

liveoak

What is the name of your state? Florida.
My deceased brother in law's lawyer in Missouri (residence of deceased)has sent me the Application for letters testamentary or of Adminstration to sign to be personal representative for the estate. This doc. has space to put the probable values of real & personal property. The lawyer(selected by my brother in law and preparer of the will) wants me to sign & return the doc. and says the values will be filled in later when they are determined. Is this normal? Should I sign without filling in an estimated value? Do these value play an important part in the probate process vs. actual values when the properties are sold at auction as per the will?
Regards

L

liveoak

Does no one have an opinion relative to my questions or is the nature of the questions "taboo" and thus the reason for no response????

Dandy Don

You would be foolish to sign a document that could be subject to forged or grossly undervalued figures later on by someone else. Make a good guess as to what you think the values might be and make a notation at the bottom or side of the page saying that the figures will be revised later on when the actual values are received. Or, don't return the form until you have received the actual values. Under ordinary circumstances, there shouldn't be a rush for this information unless the brother-in-law can provide a reasonable explanation for a rush.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">