• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Should I agree to have my name removed?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JanDoe

What is the name of your state? Illinois

I hope someone can help. My husband has asked me to consent to something right away and I'm not sure if I should. Here's the situation-

6 years ago he was injured at work, had surgery and is now on permanent disability. I cared for him and have been working full-time, supporting the family, ever since. He received a settlement and we decided that the money would be placed into investments, in both of our names. He is now living at his mother's (who is in the hospital, in a coma) and we have been separated for three months. Unfortunately, more than likely, we may end of divorcing. Right now he is taking care of issues with his mother, understandably, and has asked me the following- he would like all information regarding the investments mailed to his mother's home. However, the broker told him that this can't be done unless I agree to have my name completely taken off. I am not trying to steal his money; it is supposed to last him for the rest of his life and he is only in his 30's. However, I don't know that I should agree to this. Would it be better for me to wait until there is a legal distibution of property in court (if it comes to this? I am barely making it financially, taking care of my son and I, and I do feel concern that my husband may try to ask for alimony. I feel guilty thinking about financial concerns considering my mother-in-law's health, but I was asked to make this decision as soon as possible and I don't want to make a devastating mistake. Thanks for any help.

HomeGuru

JanDoe said:
What is the name of your state? Illinois

I hope someone can help. My husband has asked me to consent to something right away and I'm not sure if I should. Here's the situation-

6 years ago he was injured at work, had surgery and is now on permanent disability. I cared for him and have been working full-time, supporting the family, ever since. He received a settlement and we decided that the money would be placed into investments, in both of our names. He is now living at his mother's (who is in the hospital, in a coma) and we have been separated for three months. Unfortunately, more than likely, we may end of divorcing. Right now he is taking care of issues with his mother, understandably, and has asked me the following- he would like all information regarding the investments mailed to his mother's home. However, the broker told him that this can't be done unless I agree to have my name completely taken off. I am not trying to steal his money; it is supposed to last him for the rest of his life and he is only in his 30's. However, I don't know that I should agree to this. Would it be better for me to wait until there is a legal distibution of property in court (if it comes to this? I am barely making it financially, taking care of my son and I, and I do feel concern that my husband may try to ask for alimony. I feel guilty thinking about financial concerns considering my mother-in-law's health, but I was asked to make this decision as soon as possible and I don't want to make a devastating mistake. Thanks for any help.
**A: do not sign your jane doe until your attorney reviews all documents and advises you accordlngly.

nextwife

I've arranged to get emailed statements on most of my investments. Check to see if his investment advisor can arrange e-statements. These should NOT require any ownership change.

JanDoe

Thank you for your reply. My first response was to sign right away, as my understanding legally is that his settlement $ is all his anyway. However, the more I think about it, the more uncomfortable I feel. It also doesn't help because I feel so guilty, as though I am being a cold hearted bit** . My mother-in-law is basically dying and my husband is having to make all of her decisions.
Thanks again.

H

hexeliebe

And what's wrong with being a "COLD HEARTED BITCH?"

Don't touch a pen until you have spoken with an attorney. You just might be surprised to find what he/she has to say.

lsut1ger

It may be that $ from the settlement which was earmarked for lost wages actually belongs to the both of you. So if he's got all of it sitting in those accts, some of it may actually belong to you. I'm in LA which is a community property state and that is the case here. Check with your lawyer.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">