• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

recorded tape vs/ 12 year old will........

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? Mom in GA

Which would take precedence in a probate court...... a 12 year old dated will, or a 5 year old recorded tape?? My mother made a new will sa early as 5-6 years ago. I do not have acess to the will, but I have a recording and pictures that clearly state her intention, as of the LATER date.

Any suggestions?

lwpat

"My mother made a new will sa early as 5-6 years ago"

The question is what happened to this will and why has it not been produced. If she had an attorney prepare the will he may have an original.

It's not actually that is has not been "produced"... It was behind a picture on my mothers' apartment, My sister, and her family packed her apartment up several months before she died.

I have a "copy", but it is not signed, and I am told if there was an older one produced, it would be honored, simply becasue it WAS signed.

lwpat

"I have a "copy", but it is not signed, and I am told if there was an older one produced, it would be honored, simply becasue it WAS signed."

This is true. You will need an original. Check to see if you can locate who helped her prepare the will. It is always a good idea to have an original of your will on file somewhere so that it cannot be destroyed by a greedy relative.

The will was prepared in 1998 at the Military JAG office. I talked them again today, they tell me there may not be another copy because they only keep skeleton wills on file for 3 years. They say they do this becasue of the vast amount of wills they prepare, and b/c the original usually goes with the person writing the will.

Just curious... would anyone else besides the funeral home be able to provide me with a death certificate?

Thanx!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">