• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

what do I do next

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

pete244

What is the name of your state? arizona

My mother-in-law died last Jan 1st, 2003. She left a will giving her four children equal shares in her very small estate. No cash, an old car worth 6K, and a condo worth 100K (only 50K equity). My wife is named as the executrix. We have not filed for Probate yet. My wife and I paid for the funeral and other expences. Estate is worth way under 50K after funeral expences are paid off.

Questions: (I have lots of these...here are a few)

1) My wife wants to liquidate the household items now. Do we have to file Probate and have my wife formally named executrix before she can distribute or sell the household contents?

2) Concerning the house....when should the beneficiaries change the title to reflect the new owners (the 4 kids)? I assume that this will have to happen before the house can be sold.

3) One of the kids may not want to sell the house. Does that mean that it can't be sold?

Thanks

pete244

Dandy Don

Names on the title to the condo can not be changed until after the condo is sold. Executor needs to discuss this matter with the condo management to see if they will allow a sale.

If 3 of the children want it sold, then majority rules.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">