• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Daughter from previous relationship

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

spy_kittie

What is the name of your state? Florida

My fiancee wants to adopt my 6 year old daughter from a previous relationship. Can we go about this without her biological father's consent? His name is not on the birth certificate, and he has no contact with her. The only problem I see is that he is paying court ordered child support to me through the state. Can he refuse her adoption?

nextwife

If he is paying court ordered support, he WAS legally determined to be the father (likely a DNA test?). He would need to consent, or you'd somehow need to get the court to terminate his parental rights. If he is paying support, that is unlikely.

And, of course, the CS would terminate.

Oh, AND you would need to be married to each other. You can find a summary of FL Adoption Law here:

http://www.adoptionsolutions.com/general/state laws/fl_law.htm

S

spy_kittie

Thank you. I was aware that marriage would be a necessity in my fiancee adopting my daughter. Her biological father's identity wasn't an issue, but Child Support Enforcement had the 3 of us take a DNA test to prove that he was such. I know the support will stop, which isn't really an issue. I was just curious if we would have to get her Bio. Father's consent. Thanks for your help.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">