• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ex is ruining my credit, what can I do?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

chatkat

What is the name of your state? Texas

I was divorced in 1999, in the divorce decree there are credit cards listed with the balance at the time of the divorce and who would be responsible for each card. I paid off and or closed everything that I was responsible for in order to get my ex's name off of everything. I know that the accounts he was left responsible for were paid in full in April of 2000 (about 8 months after the divorce was final) In Oct 2002 (two and half years after the accounts were paid in full) I get a call from a credit card company stating that the card is over $400.00 over the limit, and over 30 days delinquent. They refuse to take my name off the account and stop reporting to my credit report, stating that I'm a joint owner. Even though I can show proof that the card was paid in full after the divorce and I no longer had anything to do with the account. Now, I have creditors closing my accounts and raising my once very low rates to very high rates because of that one card that I don't have anything to do with. When I found out about the card being open, I closed it but by then it was too late. What can I do to force my ex to pay this debt ASAP and can I make him pay me damages for the increased interest I'm being charged? I don't know if this is a small claims matter, or a divorce court matter or what?

Thanks

chatkat

Thank you VG1013, I just assumed it would fall under the divorce laws. Hopefully someone in one of these areas can give me some advise.

Thanks again

VG1013

chatkat said:
Thank you VG1013, I just assumed it would fall under the divorce laws. Hopefully someone in one of these areas can give me some advise.

Thanks again
~~~Just post it in the credit and collection forum and someone will respond. Ladynred is really good with the advice.

JETX

You're not going to like this but......

The divorce order does NOT relieve you of your original contractual obligation on the debts. It only specifies as to who is responsible for the payment of them. Therefore, your name is still on the accounts and you are still liable for the debt. The problem is, the accounts were paid off (as decreed in the divorce), but you apparently never took the extra step of closing the accounts in writing. That allowed the 'other' account holder to then charge more purchases (presumably) and build up another balance.

Your only real option at this point is to pay the accounts off in full and notify the creditor to close the accounts and release you from any further obligation on it. Once the creditor confirms your release, then you would no longer be responsible for additional activity on the account. Then, you can either file a new lawsuit against the 'ex' to recover your damages (the amount you paid on his behalf) or can return to the original court and try to force him to reimburse you (with the threat of contempt).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">