• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

REPOST: lying to obtain a peace bond

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ozzys_mom

What is the name of your state? va

I posted about this last night but I guess it being the weekend and all not many people have had time to read it. I will explain it better this time so maybe it will be easier to understand. My sister (lets call her Sally) told my brother-in-law (lets call him Jim) that my husband (lets call him Lee) threatened to beat him up. She lied this is not the case. What really happened was Jim said to Lee on the phone that Lee owed Jims brother money and Lee corrected him and said he did not because Jims brother never looked at his car so how could he owe him any money? (You see Jim claims his brother fixed our car and Lee owed his brother money from twelve years ago) Lee told Sally that if Jim and his brother wanted any money from him they would have to beat him up and take it. So Sally called and said that she wanted Jim to get a peace bond against Lee. I told Sally she knew she had told a lie and she agreed. She asked if I would tell Jim that because she wanted him to know the truth. So I did. Jim said "I know Lee didn't do that, me and him have always gotten along, never had any problems with each other, and he has never done anything to me. I know Sally lied". I thought that would be the end of it. Then on 10/16/03 Jim went to the magistrates office and filed a peace bond against Lee. Lee was asleep when the sheriffs deputy came to our house to serve him so he said "Well just tell him to come down to the sheriffs dept to do the paperwork". I thought that was all that was going to happen. So Lee and I went down to the dept the next thing I know the deputy says "Is 10/30 a good day for you?" Lee said "A good day for what?" The deputy said, "Your court date." So Lee said that would be fine. Then he told Lee to come with him and he was fingerprinted and had his mug shots taken and we were afraid he was going to be put in jail. But he was released on a $1,000 recoginance (sp) bond. What are my options??? My husband was wrongfully accused. Sally lied on my husband and when I asked her (before the peace bond was filed) why she lied she said she didn't know what makes her lie all the time she was sorry and to tell her husband the truth. So, I told Jim the truth and he agreed that she was lying and he said that Lee has never threatened him or said a harsh word about him. Then Jim files a peace bond. He lied to obtain it. He knew for a fact my husband never threatened him but yet he does it anyway. The date the "alleged" threat happened on was 9/20/03 but he didn't file the peace bond until 10/16/03. What can I do since I know this is a lie. He put on the peace bond that my husband threatened him over the phone, directly to him and said he would beat him up if he saw him anywhere. Lee never talked to Jim on the phone he talked to Sally and said that Jim would have to beat up Lee to get the money he allegedly owed. That is not a direct threat because Lee didn't say he would beat up Jim. Sally turned it around and now my husband has to go to court on the 30th of this month. Do we have any rights in this matter? What are our options? Also what will happen at the hearing and what can we do? I REALLY REALLY need advice. I want to know what we should do because this is something we've never had to deal with before. Thanks so much for you time and patience.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">