• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Where do we start Nextwife

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

W

wnt2bkatesprnt

What is the name of your state? az

Nextwife I have read a lot of your post it seems to me your brains are smarter then ours.

What do Health Services look for in HomeStudies ?

We are a very clean family-
I stay up late to clean house while kids are sleeping -
they can not dirty it after I clean it .

We do NOT smoke, drink never had and never will -

Never been in trouble with the law -

I have lived in AZ same town for 23 years my husband has lived her for 9 years ,

we have not ever got in any physical fights I will say disagreemetns but we all do some time !

We have 3 children of our own 2 boys and 1 girl, and we would like to adopt a girl from Maine that we have in mind in the near future.
She has the same things my little son has "special needs" and we deal with it just fine, has not had to have his medicine for 3 days , we have been watching what he eats (ADHD)

Any advice- on where to start -
You can email me personally too Thank you.

nextwife

I'm sure I'm no smarter than you. I'm just very verbal.

Good luck on your adoption. My daughter is ALSO adhd - Big time. Jekyll and Hyde without her meds- Omega 3s just didn't do it.

Anyway, I will admit to being less well informed about the domestic adoption process. I do know what our State Children and Family Services Dept. looked for in "qualifying us", it is likely similar in all states.

They had a criminal background check, financial statement (they want to make sure you can afford to add a child to your family and properly provide for them). They had physical check ups of us and AIDS tests. Because we adopted internationally, FBI fingerprint checks and INS visa requirments for our daughter. They visited our house and interviewed us a few times. They looked to see if we had a "place" for a child, if our home was "safe" for a toddler, did we seem to have our heads on straight and get along as a couple, What our religious/spiritual connections were. WE needed 5 references who had known us at least X number of years, only two or three could be related. They were looking to see if our home was child friendly and that we appeared to be emotionally stable, etc. Clean is important too, but they really want to see that a child is free to play and explore safely. THey also met our little pooch to see that he was socialized and not a threat to anyone.

I do not know if this is a private adoption, a child available through the state of Maine, or whether this is through a private adoption agency. Nor whether the child is a newborn, or toddler or older. If through the State of Maine, I'd contact the department placing the child and determine what they need, and also call your counties Family Services department and ask them to direct you. This is interstate, so I don't really know, other than making certain you comply with both involved state's requirements (as we did with both our state and the government of Bulgaria).

A recommendation, if this is OTHER than newborn adoption, is to read up extensively on issues to be aware of when adopting older kids. Ours was 25 months when we adopted her, and severly delayed, but now "on target" and caught up at age 6. Also, if you do not know the background, seek medical opinions as to fetal alchohol or drug exposure, and just be aware of the possibility. Research like crazy.

Last edited:
W

wnt2bkatesprnt

Thank you - she is soon to be 6 on 10/23 she is held by the DHSS- in Maine -

All we know about her according to the site is she was negleted by her mom- left home alone all the time as a infant ! I will be sure to do all research on this .. Many thanks for your reply

nextwife

Poor baby. Left alone so young. Again, I do wish to make certain you have read up on the impact of neglect on young kids. I'm sure being with you will make a HUGE DIFFERENCE.

AND< I would never recommend doing a domestic adoption without retaining an attorney before all is finalized. Make sure it's done right. We did NOT use one in the US, because we had an attorney in Bulgaria and it is considered sealed and final once the decree is issued. WE readopted in our state, anyway. BUt in a domestic adoption, I'd sure want an attorney.

Last edited:

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Huh, interesting. Another poster from AZ wanting to adopt a child from ME. This wouldn't be as a "replacement" for the child your husband is terminating his parental rights to, would it?

W

wnt2bkatesprnt

-Nextwife--
I'm sure being with you will make a HUGE DIFFERENCE

She would be spoiled, she will be NEVER left alone- Once again thanks for all your replys and helpful information...

No sealth not me

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">