• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Parking Problems

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

ahblan00

My wife and I are students at the University of Kentucky and we live in married housing on campus. I was issued a ticket in July for ignoring a posted parking notice, and did not learn about the ticket until this past week when my car was towed. The university parking office tells me that they aren't required to notify someone of one of these tickets, since they are usually only issued when someone drives around a parking gate.

Since there is no parking gate at the site of the ticket (or anywhere else that I park) and there is no written record of the ticket, I can only assume that the ticket was written by a parking attendent for driving through a stretch of one lane road labeled "Do Not Enter" that me, and half of campus, drive through on a daily basis.

The parking office won't allow me to appeal the ticket, because I didn't notify them within 10 days of the violation. It bothers me that a parking attendent can write a citation for something that the campus police ignore (and practice themselves), that seems to be outside of the parking office's jurisdiction, and that I can't appeal.

So the advice I'm looking for, I guess, isn't "what should I do," but rather "should I do anything?" It would be nice to burn off a little of my annoyance at the parking office, but a parking bureacracy is a parking bureacracy and I'm not sure if they would even care. Any insight?

racer72

You present no evidence that the ticket was not valid or warranted. Just because others violate the rules is not an excuse. Pay the ticket.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">