• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

small claims over a video camera

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

18nmstudent

What is the name of your state? New Mexico

in october of '02 my boss laid me off but had me go do some private work for a couple to help them learn how to use their computer and that she would rehire me in the summer. at first i said no, but my boss made it sound like that it was the only way she would rehire me. i went to work for these people and intended to quit in one week because it was free work and i wasnt getting paid. after the week was up i kept getting notes from the office at school from the couple asking me to come over. i didnt want to upset my boss so reluctantly i did. this went on untill febuary. the couple had bought a video camera some years ago and asked if i could take it, learn how to use it and teach them, again i didnt want to upset my boss so i did, that night i had to go back to the school for drama practice and when i went to my car i found that things had been moved around and some cds various things and the camera had been stolen i immediatly made a police report and contacted the couple to tell them what happened. i did just about everything i could to find the missing camera (posters, reward offered, filed on schools and my moms insurance) but to no avail. after i informed the couple that my efforts had failed they threatened to sue. I was only 17 at the time. after being harrased by them which included more notes at school (the wife even pulled me out of class to yell at me) calls to my mother where they were so mean they brought her to tears. they offered me to work out the price of the camera. feeling that all that would happen was more abuse i declined. then i got my summons less than a month later.

I feel like ive been bulied into the whole situation. the reason that i couldnt afford to pay them back was because i make no money and my mom has a hard enough time paying the bills already. im just 18 and i need some help. i go to court on halloween.

Bigfoot

You haven't specifically asked a question, but I'll try to respond to what I'm hearing from your explanation.

Go on to small claims court. This sounds awfully scary, but it really isn't. The judge will give you a chance to present your side. Also, you'll want to find out from the police what old and new leads they are pursuing in regards to the theft of items from your car.

Also, try to get an idea of the value of the missing video camera. A unit purchased in 1984 would have been around $4000, whereas a unit purchased during the past 5 years could cost as little as $350.

The depreciated value of the $350 camera is, therefore, quite low, whereas their willingness to have you work for them for the cost of the camera would have benefited them more than you--especially if you haven't determined the fair market value of your hourly services.

Sounds like the couple has purchased a new video camera (which they've wanted all along) and now they need you to teach them how to use it.

In going to court, be formal, but don't try to be humorous or a know-it-all. Since you were 17 when all of this happened, the judge should take all of this into consideration.

And, please don't lose faith in all of us older adults. Everyone is not out to take advantage of you or your obvious talents, however, you may be surprised that some mature adult along the way will take you under his/her wing and mentor you on the best way to lay out a plan for finding short/long term employment and further your education.

Keep your chin up! You sound like someone we should all be proud of!

Ladynred

What happened with the auto insurance ? Did the policy cover loss of property in the vehicle ? Many insurance policies DO cover losses of that type, its part of what you pay for.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">