• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Received the trust - finally!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

Ksajb

What is the name of your state? SC, MI trust.

We finally received a copy of the trust and I was able to speak with the atty for the trust who admitted that he was concerned about the total lack of contact my brother (trustee) was having with each of us as well as with him (the trust atty). It's been 11 months and my mom (deceased) is still listed as the trustee on all of her accounts.

I have more questions now. Apparently my brother has finally contacted the trust atty and that's how we were able to receive a copy even though I had been asking for one for a month. Here are the questions:

1. Did my brother okay the release of the copies or was that the responsibility of the atty to get them to us a long time ago. The cover letter of the trust indicated that according to Michigan law, we were suppose to receive a copy of the trust. Shouldn't that have happened months ago? BTW, the atty was retained by my brother back in January and has never contacted any of us.

2. The atty told me we should have gotten an interim list of assets within 28 days of my mom's death. There never was one. How do we get one now?

3. Who does the atty represent - the trust, the trustee, or the beneficiaries? At first, the atty was very open with me - even going as far as saying that my brother had 'screwed up' and wouldn't return any phone calls (to the atty). Now he won't answer any more of my questions and has referred us back to my brother who won't communicate with us. Do we have a right to any information the atty has? One section of the trust stipulates that the atty may be used for mediation purposes. At what point can we request that he do that?

4. Where do we go from here? Yes, we have a copy of the trust but there is no sign that my brother has even started the paperwork. I feel like we're back to square one.

5. If we hire a lawyer to help get this moving, what kind of expenses are we talking about?

Let me know if you need more info. I really need some insight.

Thanks!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">