• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Lost wages and attorney's fees

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

MarriedToTheRR

What is the name of your state? North Carolina I have physical custody of minor child and father has court-ordered visitation. Father refused to bring child back from last visit until 24 hours after court order said he had to bring him back. My husband and I both had to take a day off work in an effort to get the child back. Our lawyer spent the entire day working on our case and traveled to 2 other counties to get a judge's signature on an order instructing law enforcement to retrieve the minor child. Can we sue the father for attorney's fees $150 x 8 hours=1200 and also a maximum of $420 lost wages between my husband and I for that day? If so, is small claims court the best way to approach or could these be possibly awarded as punitive damages?

JETX

Since you had an attorney involved, I would assume you have already asked him both of these questions, correct?? He would be in a much better position (full knowledge of issues) than anyone on this forum to answer them. And what was his answer?? If you haven't asked him, that is your first call to make.

I will offer that the attorney fees expended in trying to enforce the court order MAY be recoverable. The chance of recovering YOUR loss of wages, though unlikely, may be compensible if you can show the court that they were necessary. Your husbands wages are not recoverable.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">