• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Strange situation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

SmllTwnLvr

What is the name of your state? WA

I was married in Nevada in November, 1991 and separated in February, 1992. I have not have had any contact with him in almost 12 years. No children involved, no property involved, nothing. How do I divorce him in an affordable manner?

R

regnier1823

I have a similar problem. I was married in NV also, Las Vegas wedding, on 1/14/2001, and we've been seperated for over a year now. I can't find him to get him to sign the easy divorce paperwork. I know there's another way, but I'm completely lost! We have no children, assets or debts. HELP!!!

Jeter

I would suggest a divorce by publication. This is a divorce where there are no minor children born or adopted of the marriage, no property to divide and the petitioner does not know where the other spouse is.

The divorce is usually final in approximately 3 to 4 months after the date of filing. During this time, the notice of your divorce will be published in a local newspaper (While it appears in the newspaper for only 30 days, the publication process really takes about 7 weeks). Also during this time inquiries as to the whereabouts of your spouse are sent to all the branches of the US Military, all local utility companies , the US Postal Service, the State Dept of Corrections, The State Dept of Motors vehicles, and searches will be conducted on all major internet people finder engines.

If none of the inquiries is positive, your lawyer (or firm conducting the publication proceedings) will apply to the Judge for the entry of a default. While it should only take a week or so, this process ussually take anywhere from 3 to 5 weeks. Once the Judge enters the Order of Default, your case gets set for final hearing and you should be divorced 2 to 4 weeks after that.

If you do find your spouse, you will commence divorce procedure from there. He will be served with the paperwork and so forth.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">