• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Name change after divorce

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

N

ninito

What is the name of your state?
California

I have been divorced for a few years and now currently remarried.I have asked ex-wife to change married name to maiden but does not want to. she says it's too much trouble and is doing it for the kids....blah blah blah. Can I do something for her to give up my name?

lsut1ger

ninito said:
What is the name of your state?
California

I have been divorced for a few years and now currently remarried.I have asked ex-wife to change married name to maiden but does not want to. she says it's too much trouble and is doing it for the kids....blah blah blah. Can I do something for her to give up my name?
Nope...you can't do a damned thing.

N

ninito

can she get any rights by using my name in either financial or other forms? does she have access to anything personal like bills, accounts, etc... that I now have?

Jeter

No. Name doesn't give her automatic priveleges. The stipulations of your divorce assigned assets and property and what she has access to. If she accesses accounts that don't belong to her you can sue her.

N

ninito

hey thanks. I just gotta keep an eye on things. she has picked up my paycheck showing i.d. and saying she was my wife...it figures

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">