• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Estate Gift Tax

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

Debbie Lamp'l

What is the name of your state? GA
How do you properly word a petition to encroach on an incapacitated adult's estate allowing the children of the adult to receive the allowable $11,000.00 gift each year. The adult has more than the allowable estate to be exempt from estate taxes and it is the children's aim to reduce the amount of the estate to protect the corpus of the estate from taxation as much as possible.

L

LawDawg03

Incapacitated how?

Is there a guardian, conservator, or power of attorney somewhere? Who cares for this person?

D

Debbie Lamp'l

Both parents have been determined to be Mentally incapacitated. Is living in assisted/Alzheimer's care unit - one son is guardian of the person, another son is guardian of the property.

Both have wills leaving estate to each other and then to children if either is incapacitated.

L

LawDawg03

Well the guardian of the property can probably distribute the property. The only pitfall I see is if a will beneficiary later contests the gifts. But if all the will beneficiaries agree with the present gifts I don't think it will be a problem. I

f the estate is close to over a million then you would probably want to get a lawyer anyway to further minimize taxes. You can retain one now and have them advise you on this move.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">