• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

BioFather Abused My child

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

THXFelicia

Name change possible after biofather abused child?

What is the name of your state? Ca
My Ex admitted to and was convicted of Felony Child Abuse against my child. Child was 3 months old when abuse was discovered. Child had been shaken twice, and had a broken femur. The biofather made his twice-monthly supervised visits for 4 years (while in the same state), and pays his court ordered support. Child has been raised by my husband who is called daddy. Child does not know the true nature of who biofather really is--refers to him by his first name, and the biofather knows this and refers to himself to child by his first name. Child has no idea of the situation or that 'daddy' is not biologically related. I am wanting try to do a legal name change so that child has the last name as the man who has raised him, and myself. I am sure biofather will contest--he is obsessed with the child. Do I have any hopes of attempting a name change in light of the history with the biofather--would a judge take that into consideration? Biofather lives in a different state currently. Do I have a chance at accomplishing this, or would I just be wasting time? Any advice would be extremely welcomed. Thanks.

Last edited:

stephenk

since you are sure your ex will contest the name change, you should consult with an attorney about filing the name change petition. Typically a person can do the filing and paperwork on their own, but a contested name change is a different story.

good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">