• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Estate Distribution

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

Mikkey

What is the name of your state? Georgia
It has been 7 months since my dad passed away. I want to distribute his 2 account estate of approx $61,000. In his will he directed that we children evenly get one account 0f $55,000 from sale of long ago home with our long deceased mom. His current wife is to get other account of $6,000. This is the account he used to pay his medical from. There are medical bills of approx $1,000 still pending medicare and/or insurance resolution - which could take many more months. Can I distribute account my dad used to pay medical to my step mom and have her sign a document saying she will be responsible for all remaining medical unpaid bills or do I need to distribute $ less pending amounts?

JETX

Your post isn't clear in what your role is in this (executor, personal representative, etc.). Assuming that you are authorized, collect the bills that were incurred (as is your task) and pay them from the estate. When that is complete, THEN distribute the funds as provided by the will. You simply cannot 'pass on' your obligation to the estate.

M

Mikkey

ESTATE DISTRIBUTION

Are you saying that I, as executor, have to wait to distribute estate until Medicare resolves these remaining bills? That could take more then a year.

JETX

Re: ESTATE DISTRIBUTION

Mikkey said:
Are you saying that I, as executor, have to wait to distribute estate until Medicare resolves these remaining bills? That could take more then a year.
*** I am not saying that you HAVE to wait, only that you have an obligation as executor to properly handle the FULL estate and can't just pass it off to someone else. Why would you think it 'fair' for you to (apparently) take your share and run, leaving the open issues to the 'step-mother'?? Especially, since she apparenlty has NO authority to handle the estate.

M

Mikkey

Estate Dist

Its not that I want to take my share and run, but all beneficiaries, especially my step-mom, would like to receive their share of the estate. I believe that my step mom thinks I am dragging my feet on the distribution. The only thing that is holding it up is about 8 unresolved medical bills. The hospital said it often takes a very long time (over a year) to coordinate benefits. My step mom, my sisters, and I would like to receive appropriate share outside the unresolved amounts. I don't think we are wrong for that. I was trying to help my step mom by giving her all the money in the account left to her in the hope that some of the bills would ultimately be reduced.

Dandy Don

You would be better off assuming that the estate will have to pay the unresolved medical bills and setting aside that exact amount in reserve to cover the bills just in case the estate has to pay them, and just give the heirs what is left over.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">