• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

customer wrote "paid in full" on check

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

Kelly99

What is the name of your state? Iowa

I have a customer, that disputed his balance, only wanting to pay for the locks, but not the labor hours it took for my company to install them.
he wrote a letter stating that, and wrote paid in full on the check-
I did write him back, and tell him I would accept his partial payment and that the balance would need to be paid.
he now writes me, that in accordance with the Iowa code, that i accepted a payment with "paid in full" written on it, therefore i agreed to settle for the less amount- and that the issue was now closed.
I didnt agree to any such thing, as i wrote him back thanking him for his partial payment.
and so far i cant find an actual Iowa code that supports this.
Is there any truth to his claim, and if so, is there any way around it?

BL

Did you cash the check as it was issued to you with just your signature ?

If so, you technically agreed to that amount.

JETX

Kelly, what the person did is called a 'restrictive endorsement' (or 'accord and satisfaction').

In some states, the "Paid in Full" endorsement can release the debtor of any further obligation. Some states require that the debtor send you a separate letter declaring his intentions first, and finally, some states don't allow the "Paid in Full" to apply at all.

Luckily, your state (Iowa) is in the latter group. The endoresement isn't valid. This is found in the Iowa Code (§554.3206) at:
http://www2.legis.state.ia.us/IACODE/1999/554/3206.html

For more on this, go to:
http://www.carreonandassociates.com/restrictiveoffer.htm

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">