• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need information on Will

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

cpurcell

What is the name of your state? Colorado My husband had a will made and at the time I was not his wife, I was his sister-in-law, and he put me in to inherit everything. In the meantime, I divorced his brother and married him. Do we need to have a new will made, my name is still the same except I am his wife now instead of his sister-in-law. It cost about $300.00 to have this will made cause he was going in for surgery and didn't know what was going to happen. Would appreciate some insite into this Thank you Carol

Dandy Don

Does the will mention specifically the fact that you are his sister-in-law?

Does this man have living children?

The will would be accepted as is with the outcome still in your favor, but it would be subject to being contested if this man has children. Therefore if your husband has living children he should revise the will to include at least something for the children, small or large monetary gifts, just for being the common-sense thing to do to provide for his children and to prevent them from being mad enough to contest the estate and hold up you getting your check from the estate. If there are no children, then there is nothing to be concerned about.

Your husband may want to discuss this with the attorney who helped draw up the will--making the revisions may be fairly simple and he/she may agree to do it for less than you think if you are concerned about the expense. It would be much better to have a new will made since the cirumstances changed since the writing of the first one and a newer will would show his clearer intentions and would avoid confusion.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

cpurcell said:
What is the name of your state? Colorado My husband had a will made and at the time I was not his wife, I was his sister-in-law, and he put me in to inherit everything. In the meantime, I divorced his brother and married him. Do we need to have a new will made, my name is still the same except I am his wife now instead of his sister-in-law. It cost about $300.00 to have this will made cause he was going in for surgery and didn't know what was going to happen. Would appreciate some insite into this Thank you Carol

My response:

So, let me see if I have this correct, Carol . . .

Are you saying that, at one time, you were married to your current husband's brother? Are you also saying that your current husband was, at one time, married to your sister?

IAAL

C

cpurcell

Hello Dandy Don, yes, the will states that I am his sister-in-law. but he has no children at all. So you think in that case it will still be a valid will?
To I am liable I was married to this man's brother but I do not have any sisters, so therefore he could not have been married to one. In fact I was married to his brother for 23 years and he did nothing but beat hell out of me and had me scared to death that he would kill me if I left. He finally decided he wanted a divorce and that is how I got away from him.
Carol

Dandy Don

Yes it is still a valid will but if you have any doubts or questions you need to be talking to the attorney about this. If I were you I would ask him to get the correction made deleting the sister-in-law and specifying that you are the wife.

C

cpurcell

Thank you for your information, guess we will have to talk to an attorney and see what has to be done, hopefully it won't cost very much to just change the fact that I am the wife instead of the sister-in-law.
Carol

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">