• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is Booting legal in Idaho?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ejsearle

In Rexburg, Idaho i was parked in a private parking lot for about 30min. The complex parking patrol placed a boot on my vehicle requesting me to pay $35 to have it removed, if I didn't pay right then and there they would tow my vehicle.

The question that I have is, can they boot my vehicle. They do have a towing sign at the entry of the parking lot, But can they boot until they can get a tow truck there in time before I leave? I checked local/city/state ordinances and there are no mention of booting in any code. Only towing. So are they illegally detaing my vehicle until they can get a tow truck there?
Can I "cut" the boot off, or are there legal implications?
They made me wait an hour before they came back to unlock the boot.

Thanks,
Eli

Last edited:

HomeGuru

ejsearle said:
In Rexburg, Idaho i was parked in a private parking lot for about 30min. The complex parking patrol placed a boot on my vehicle requesting me to pay $35 to have it removed, if I didn't pay right then and there they would tow my vehicle.

The question that I have is, can they boot my vehicle. They do have a towing sign at the entry of the parking lot, But can they boot until they can get a tow truck there in time before I leave? I checked local/city/state ordinances and there are no mention of booting in any code. Only towing. So are they illegally detaing my vehicle until they can get a tow truck there?
Can I "cut" the boot off, or are there legal implications?
They made me wait an hour before they came back to unlock the boot.

Thanks,
Eli
**A: you parked on private property and had no permission to do so therefore you were trespassing. They had a right to hold your vehicle. They could have also given you the boot, but that is another story.

ejsearle

Yes, I understand the trespassing technicality. This was a apartment complex. I asked the parking guy where visitors park. He then very rudly shouted the street.

With booting, wouldn't it be just the same if he parked his car behind mine to keep me there until the tow truck arrived? These parking guys roam around all day long just looking for any moment someone is visiting.

I do support parking regulations, but these guys seem a little overzealous. I have called the City and they told me that it was a personal propery matter and to seek legal council.

C

coosi

I have called the City and they told me that it was a personal propery matter and to seek legal council.

Since you promulgate that you exhibit a propensity to improperly park on propietary personal "propery" I prognasticate that you have no case, however, by all means, seek legal "council" or even address the city "counsel" for compensation and conclusive conciliation of this complex and compelling legal matter...

HomeGuru

coosi said:
I have called the City and they told me that it was a personal propery matter and to seek legal council.

Since you promulgate that you exhibit a propensity to improperly park on propietary personal "propery" I prognasticate that you have no case, however, by all means, seek legal "council" or even address the city "counsel" for compensation and conclusive conciliation of this complex and compelling legal matter...
**A: the Ciity Council is not the same as legal counsel.

C

coosi

Hey HG,

You talking to me??

PS

Livin' in the big ciity sux...

C

coosi

coosi said:

Hey HG,

You talking to me??

PS

Livin' in the big ciity sux...
**A: and so does your spelling.

So does yours. My hero ;)

G

Groovy Mom

Coosi

I love your site... episode #12. To "f'n" funny!
How do I find that to put it on my site?
Did you come up with that?

ejsearle

Problem Solved!

Well, after talking to the City Attorney and filing a complaint. The City Attorney has drawn up a proposal for a booting ordenance to force Appartment Managers to be present when booting occures. This will stop the "Preditor" booting that is taking place. He will not be allowed to boot a vehicle and then leave to check on his other boots. I spoke to the police and it turns out that the Boot Man has not been following proper booting procedures and so they don't even like him. Turns out he whent and booted some of the City council memebers while they were dropping off some papers at City Hall.

Eli

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">