• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

A Question on Common Law

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

janinepearl

What is the name of your state? xxx small century teal :confused: I have lived with the same man for 12 years now. We have been legally Married for7 months and looking at Divorce. I live in SC and I need to know from the length of living to getting Married, Is there a space between where it now looks like we have only been together for 7 months or is it still at 12 Years ?? Thanks....

VG1013

janinepearl said:
What is the name of your state? xxx small century teal :confused: I have lived with the same man for 12 years now. We have been legally Married for7 months and looking at Divorce. I live in SC and I need to know from the length of living to getting Married, Is there a space between where it now looks like we have only been together for 7 months or is it still at 12 Years ?? Thanks....
~~~South Carolina is one of the states that recognize common law marriages. A common law marriage is not created when two people simply live together for a certain number of years. In order to have a valid common law marriage, the couple must do all of the following:

live together for a significant period of time (not defined in any state)
hold themselves out as a married couple -- typically this means using the same last name, referring to the other as "my husband" or "my wife" and filing a joint tax return, and
intend to be married.
When a common law marriage exists, the spouses receive the same legal treatment given to formally married couples, including the requirement that they go through a legal divorce to end the marriage.

J

janinepearl

Hi There Redhead from NY..

Thanks for the info. I learned two things tonight. The talking about getting Married. I did not know about the checking account and tax thing. We talked about Marriage and I never shared a checking account even though I would put my Paycheck in his.( i know, don't yell) :) I do have a proof that I deposited my Tax check in his account.. Gotta Love SC.. I was told that grounds for Divorce are (sc) fooling around in a romantic way, proof of exessive use of drugs and drinking or a good ol fashion beating..What mine has been doing for awhile now is a lot of Mental abuse. I had a Lawyer tell me that Mental abuse does not apply.... Now, call me stupid but I looked up the definition on Domestic Abuse Law for the State of SC. It reads, Domestic abuse includes acts of MENTAL ( hello), Phisical, sexual or EMOTIONAL assault( hello again) so on about destruction of pets, property. Now, is it just me or is someone in SC a bit "backwards" ? I got this info from a shelter site located in SC about 30 min. from my home.. I'm thinking I need a female lawyer who won't see what they want.. $$$ ( ya think) I have left relationships with my car and whatever I can pack while they were at work. I'm 36 and drained from Bull**cough, cough* I'm tired of starting over with nothing after giving everything. The promises of the lake house.. Ohh, That kills me. We went house looking and I found a House on the river with no neighbors, three story, glass enclosed breakfast room w/heater and she was asking 234,000. I got her down to 186,000 and my hubby had one more offer and I told him, 155,000.( needed lots of work but it was so worth it. He offers 132,000. Yup.. She laughted at him and that was that. He picked out a very small place on the lake with NO windows and I felt like I was in a box. wow, look at the babble. I still have on question.. If I live with him for 11 years and then get married. Is there a space in between ?? I have been Married for 7 months... So, does my live in time roll into my Marriage time... Have a good one all. Keep the help, I'll keep the babble( which my "hubby hates?) why marry me if you want me to ( in his words) just shut up and follow my lead ?!? night

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">