• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Statute of Limitations on shared debt?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

coffeeguy

What is the name of your state? Michigan but this is for a divorce that was done in Illinois.

I received a phone call tonight from my ex of 5 years. This was the first time we spoke in that time. AAHHH...I will have bad dreams tonight for sure.

Our divorce decree states that we were both responsible for an auto lease which ended in August of 1999. This included half of the payments for 10 months as well as half of the penalty upon turning the car in due to excess mileage, etc. She has found herself in financial trouble and is now looking for me to bail her out even though she never asked for this money until now.

My question is if there is a statute of limitations in this situation. She was making good money back then and never asked me to pay my half of the lease.
I guess I feel morally obligated, but am I legally obligated??
Thanks
Already broke in Michigan

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">