• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

child support

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

Archerp

I am in Texas. My wife and I are seperated for one month now ,but no legal action has been taken. She has not worked for 2.5 years and we have 2 children ages 3 and 5. Our three year old has a disability. I am helping financially all I am able but she wants more. When I point out how much I spend I include the amount I spend on her car payment, auto insurance, cell phone. She says that since I have been paying those all along, those payments would be in addition to what the law would require me to pay for child support. I am under the impression that she would become responsible for the payment of her car(the loan is in my name). Any information on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Jeter

I hate to be the bearer of bad news. You will have to pay for anything that is in your name. Even if the divorce decree makes her responsible (which I doubt since she is unemployed with 2 children), the finance company will go after YOU for delinquencies, YOUR credit will be ruined, YOU will be liable. This divorce could wipe you out financially for a long time coming. She will probably go for spousal support and she may just get it, even if it is temporary. In addition, child support for 2 children is going to be expensive. Especially if one child has special needs and requires extra care. She may hit you up for a portion of that as well. Get a good lawyer if you can.

T

tnw0939

Child support

She can get Alimony but she would have to qualify. You will have to pay a % of you net pay for child support and maybe carry the kids on your insurance. You can get a tempory order for financial support on what you will pay until the final decree. Go to your local law library...they have a lot of helpful information. OR consult with a lawyer in your area.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">