• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need Legal advice

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

E

earlybird

What is the name of your state? IN.
Well, I need to ask someone about what is considered a birthday gift. my husband bought me a computer for my 2000 birthday.
Today, he told me he did not. I had the receipt showing it bought on Sept. 2. my birthdate is sept. 3. He is emotionally, psychialogically, verbally abusive. he has also punched a hole in our door. What legal action is best for me at this time?
earlybird

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

earlybird said:
Well, I need to ask someone about what is considered a birthday gift. my husband bought me a computer for my 2000 birthday.
Today, he told me he did not. I had the receipt showing it bought on Sept. 2. my birthdate is sept. 3. He is emotionally, psychialogically, verbally abusive. he has also punched a hole in our door. What legal action is best for me at this time?
earlybird

My response:

Legal action? About what?

Your computer, your well-being, or something else you haven't yet mentioned?

IAAL

nextwife

If someone were abusing me, I'd consider the best "legal action" would be dumping him, whether he bought a computer in 2000, or not!

E

earlybird

Re: well being, computer, should I get a lawyernow?

earlybird said:
earlybird
Yes, I need help on how I can prove
he bought the computer for my Sept2,2000
birthday so I can take it to a storage unit and
not be legally liable for doing something unjust.
Plus, my state of being is not good at this time, and wondering
if I should persue a lawyer to get a legal separation, or divorce.
I have mentioned he has taken his fist and broke our door.
Should I take pictures? Will this stand up in court? Yes, there is much more to this than what I can say at the moment.
earlybird

kat1963

Apparently in your state it doesn't matter how it was aquired, it's part of marital property:
IC 31-15-7-4
Division of property
Sec. 4. (a) In an action for dissolution of marriage under IC 31-15-2-2, the court shall divide the property of the parties, whether:
(1) owned by either spouse before the marriage;
(2) acquired by either spouse in his or her own right:
(A) after the marriage; and
(B) before final separation of the parties; or
(3) acquired by their joint efforts.
(b) The court shall divide the property in a just and reasonable manner by:
(1) division of the property in kind;
(2) setting the property or parts of the property over to one.

Unless it's a heat/cooled unit, chances are the computer isn't going to work if left in the unit for a period of time anyway! This is a 3 year old computer. Do you really want to pay a lawyer 2 grand to *get it for you* when it's only worth a few hundred??? NO because you buy a new one for about 600.

Make an appointment with an attorney today. Most give free or low cost consults. If you really must have this particular unit, you can probably have it written into the seperation agreement but be prepared to compensate him for it (give him the couch! hahaha).

KAT

nextwife

Good heavens. Go to Ebay and check out how much a 2000 computer with whatever processing speed and memory yours has. Likely it's financial value is squat at this point. A four year old PC has little monetary value. You can go to HPs factory outlet store ang get a warranted refurb at over a gig processing speed for the $399 and up price range (and two weeks ago a 1.2 gig/60 gig HD was $359)- with all kinds of goodies.

If he puts fists through wall, and you are afraid of him, then GET OUT. Is the computer worth fighting over? Do you want to stay married to this man? If not, GO! Whoever keeps this old computer gets little value.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">