• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

problem with neighbors children

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

CarJam

What is the name of your state? PA

I moved into my home (which I rent) approx. 6 months ago. The neighbors children knew my daughters from school. Almost immediately they became frequent visitors in my home. These children, ages 8,10 & 12, ran rampant through my house. After only a week they were literally running through my house and out my kitchen door when they slammed the door behind them pinching my 6 pound dog in the door killing him.

I then contacted the mother by phone and spoke face to face with the father only to get the "not my child" attitude from both of them. I haven't let the children in my home since but that was only the beginning of my problems.

The oldest son would use our deck and patio as a shortcut to friends houses or the bus stop or even just as a play place. He would walk passed the windows and peer inside and wave at us, even the bathroom window. After repeated attempts of asking the child to stop we had the landlord talk to the parents about keeping the child off the property. He listened for a short time but proceeded to make snide remarks and actions towards us. All three of them have started standing at the very edge of their property and reaching over with sticks to tease my new dog while he is on his leash. If I ask them to stop I'm told "I'm on my property." I'm fearful if they come over when I'm not out the dog will bite them since he is continually antagonized by these kids.

The lastest thing was when we walked outside and caught the oldest coming around the corner off of our deck onto the patio taking a shortcut. He was asked to go home. We soon after went away and left my 16 yr. old daughter home alone. She went outside a short time later to find the two boys and a friend sitting on our patio, when she asked them to leave they proceeded to torment her with a dead snake. She then told me that they have been harrassing her and calling her names at the bus stop and have even been shouting things to her while she cheers (as a cheerleader) at her high school football games.

I'm finding that the attitudes of the parents are the same as the children. I would love for these kids to learn a lesson, learn some manners, respect our privacy and stop the harrassing. I'd like to know what my rights are and how to go about enforcing them.

BL

First contact the school. Tell them the names of the children that are harassing your daughter,what the history is around the home,etc. Tell them they need to discipline these students and prevent this happening at school, and the bus stop.

Next , since the Parents brush these incidents at your home off,
Write them a Certified Return receipt request letter.
Notice them To IMMEDIATELY stop there children from trespassing,harassing,your dog, and harassing your family.

If this behavior continues,especially the peering in of windows and trespassing call the Police.

You have obviously , not made yourself clear to these neighbors,and this has gone on too long . It's time to take some
real action on your part.

C

CarJam

Thank you very much. I just contacted the school today and am awaiting a return phone call. I will definitely take your advice about the certified letter.

I very much appreciate your response.

THANK YOU!!

Ok, maybe this would be technically wrong, but....

You should go over there and knock the crap out of the father and his punk kids....

too bad you don't have some older sons....

Good luck with this!

GET A RESTRAINING ORDER LADY!

Against all of them! (not sure about the minors and legal statues). In your case it is the easiest (to obtain as well) solution to your problem. Of course you know what happens when they violate the order...

About the old dog....I would slam the door in one of the kids' face, then beat the crap out of them and claim it was an accident. I mean it.

BL

Ignore the Posters who suggest you take violence against them.

This is a legal advice forum,and any suggestion of Violating the Laws should NOT be fallowed.

Use the Law. If you have to call the Police I'm sure they will have a talk with the neighbors.

Juveniles can be held accountable for violating the Laws.

S

SCin SC

HomeGuru said:
ToeJam was kicked off this website so let this thread die.
Who is toejam?

In a response to the question along with the certified letter and restraining order I would then start collecting evidence pictures, video tape of the violations (peering in windows, taunting of dog and rude behavior towards your family) have children keep a record of rude behavior at school (time, date, what was said etc)
The way the family has already acted with simple asking to leave etc it is almost evident they will continue and possibly dig themselves deeper after you take measures to stop it.

Call the law everytime the violate the restraining order, record phone calls with them, pack on the evidence and then sue. Right now it is your word against theirs so you will want to tip the scales in your favor. And with the money (if any) use it to move away from them OR in fact move and sue them for the extra expenses for you to relocate to get away from them.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">