• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Are we married?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

priorlifer

I live in New York.

I was married in a Luthern chruch by a practicing minister and have been living as husband and wife with my partner for over 10 years. However, we never obtained a marriage license nor filed any legal documents of any kind. I have two questions:

1) Are we considered to be legally married?

2) My sister and I want purchase a house for our mother. We will both be listed on the deed. Assuming we are legally married and were to divorce, would my wife have any legal claim or rights to this house?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

priorlifer said:
I live in New York.

I was married in a Luthern chruch by a practicing minister and have been living as husband and wife with my partner for over 10 years. However, we never obtained a marriage license nor filed any legal documents of any kind. I have two questions:

1) Are we considered to be legally married?

MY RESPONSE: What did the minister sign after the ceremony?

2) My sister and I want purchase a house for our mother. We will both be listed on the deed. Assuming we are legally married and were to divorce, would my wife have any legal claim or rights to this house?

MY RESPONSE: I need to know the answer to my first question before I can answer this.

IAAL

R

REParker819

Am I the only one who thinks he is married to his sister bc of his 2nd question? :eek:

P

priorlifer

I didn't sign any documents at the wedding, and I'm not aware of any that the minister completed. I know the minister was in violation of the law (and maybe me too).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">