• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Foreign national

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

rt2003

What is the name of your state? Texas.
I am a foreign national working & living legally in Texas for the last 4 years. Can I name wife who is also a foreign national as an executor?
I do not have any other relatives in Texas. But I got relatives & friends living in other states whom I can trust. Or do I need to name them as executor?
Also, Can I name a person living in another country as a beneficiary or as an alternate beneficiary.
Please advise.
Thanks,
Ranjan

Dandy Don

Is your wife competent with the English language (speaking it and understanding it) and smart/business-savvy?

If not, then perhaps it would be better to ask your probate attorney or someone else locally that you trust (an accountant, co-worker) if they would be willing to serve as executor, since most states do not allow persons who live out of the area to be executor.

R

rt2003

My wife is competent with the English language and smart. Does that mean she can be an executor, though she is a foreign national?
Also, can I name a person living in a foreign country as an alternate beneficiary.
Pls. let me know.
Thanks in advance

R

rt2003

My wife will be able to deal with the banks and other authorities. Does that mean she can be an executor, though she is a foreign national?
Also, can I name a person living in a foreign country as an alternate beneficiary.
Pls. let me know.
Thanks in advance

Dandy Don

You need to be speaking to a local probate attorney about this, preferably the one who is helping you draft your will.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">