• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Checks, bank accounts, and new owners.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

leah_h

What is the name of your state? Maryland

I wasn't sure where to post this - it's not totally OT, but here goes:

I was laid off from my employment in Feb. of this year. I had two remaining checks that were to be cashed, but for some reason, this had been put off for a short time. They are dated 12/27/02 and 02/21/03. They are now voided by age (past 6 months)

Then, I found out that the business had been sold to a new owner at some point in time. The checking account for employee paychecks was closed and I was not informed. I do not know the date it was closed, however if it had been closed prior to the voiding by age of the checks, would I still be entitled to the money now (because the account closed and I could access the money anyways)? I have been trying to contact the previous and current owner, but in the past 3 weeks I heard had no word.

Also, since the place was sold - if I am entitled to the money - who owes me?

I'm going to cross post this to see if I get a response somewhere. I'm very anxious just because nobody has bothered to respond to my two requests for information.

Also, where can I go to find out about the selling of businesses for Maryland? Are there public records somewhere?

Thanks!

Leah Huete

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">