• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Life Estate

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Clover

What is the name of your state? IA

OK..... please bear with me here. I believe I posted on this before, but was not concise enough.

Husband's great grandfather left his real estate property to his children in equal amounts as Life Estates. His children had to leave the property to their children in equal amounts, they could then do with it what they wanted.

Husbands grandmother is one of the children. She had two children of which one is living. My husbands father passed away.

The property is divided into two parcels, both in grandmother's name, one is strictly farmland, the other has the buildings and dwelling on it.

She wants to leave the building and dwellings portion to my husband (her grandson), and the farmland to her surviving daughter.

She had a stroke two years ago, and we do not want to change her will because of it.

Can we put my husbands name on the property deed alongside her name as joint owners?

Thanks,
Clover

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">