• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Collecting on a Judgment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

legal

What is the name of your state? California
I won a judgment against a contractor. I paid him money and he abandoned the job after doing only part of the work. I went back to court for an order of examination. He says he is not working, has no property, no bank accounts and his truck is leased. He says he will provide me with his wife's bank account information. I am pretty sure he will not give me that information and that he is lying about his assets.
I did manage to get his drivers license number, the license plate number of his truck and his social security number. How do I go about finding his assets; property, bank accounts and who owns the truck ?

Thank you very much for your help.

JETX

"How do I go about finding his assets; property, bank accounts and who owns the truck ?"
*** The information you are looking for is not available to the 'public', but can be found in private for-fee databases. These databases are used by judgment enforcers and private investigators. I would suggest you contact one of them to see if they could assist you in the information.

You can find a California Judgment Enforcer at http://www.enforcemyjudgment.com/

Same question

Can anyone advise me how to collect a debt? I was awarded 4 weeks ago and the defendant didn't appeal so what happens now? I only have the defendant's address.

JETX

Don't hijack someone elses thread. It is both rude (to the original writer) and causes confusion when you think a response is to you when it is really to the original writer.

hey OP. you can have the judgment debtor's Contractor License suspended until he pays the judgment! check google for the particulars, but I know this for a fact.

plus if he's bonded... the state can cut you a check out of his bond.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">